John Fetters selects our trade show presenters and spends a few weeks getting them ready for events. "You've spent the money, made the commitment - now it's show time." Here are John's top five tips:
1. Make attendees feel important. They've come to the show for a reason. Find out why.
2. You have three seconds to make a good first impression. Are you friendly and not overbearing? Do you look the part? Dress the team in a unified color to pull them together. Different styles are fine, just make sure everyone is wearing your logo. Do you have a good handshake, friendly smile? Are you having fun? Do you look like you're glad to be there? Are you confident and energetic, even after a few hours on your feet? If you feel yourself slipping on any of these points, work out an answer. Fast!
3. Attract visitors to your booth. Smile. Make eye contact. Stand comfortably. Act interested. Stand away from colleagues. Be a good listener. Don't interrupt. Ask follow-up questions. Pay attention to their answers.
4. Follow the ten-foot rule. When someone is within ten feet of you, talk to them. What do you say? Come up with 2-3 open-ended questions that are comfortable and help develop a rapport: Tell me, what do you know about (our company)? What caught your eye in our booth? What brings you to the show today?
5. Watch your non-verbal cues. I know this is going to be hard to hear, but I can't stress it enough: put your phone away. If you need it to illustrate a point with an attendee, fine. But when idle, keep it stashed. Stand with your feet about shoulder width apart, weight evenly balanced and hands either at your side or behind your back. Hold literature samples if you're uncomfortable not knowing what to do with your hands. Keep moving in the booth. Don't pace, but periodically walk from one side to the other. Smile. be motivated. Treat visitors as guests. Keep the booth neat and clean. Try to refrain from sitting at or eating in the booth. If you need to use the phone, exit the area.
Remember to take regular breaks to relieve your feet and back. Step outside for some fresh air. And have fun! You're the face of your brand in a crowded marketplace. Enjoy the experience.
If you have any tips, please feel free to share. All comments received by January 28 will enter you in our drawing to win one of two $500 Lands' End Gift Cards.