With Earth Day coming up this Sunday, April 22, sustainability is at the top of the agenda right now. In fact, for many companies, it's an integral part of their brand. Here at Lands' End, we've been making an effort to "go green" for a while, and promote "Lands' Friendly" practices within our daily operations, including:
- Recycling and reducing waste to become a "zero landfill"company
- Composting food scraps and garden waste
- Organic vegetable gardens and an orchard on our campus, as well as beehives to help pollination
- Enacting an energy management program to help reduce carbon emissions
- Encouraging carpooling and fuel economy choices
- Installing electric vehicle charging stations
- Five buildings at our headquarters have been designated "ENERGY STAR" facilities by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
When it comes to serving our customers, we're making it easier for everyone to join in the effort with e-catalogs as an alternative to paper catalogs, and our fabric recycling program. Partnering with Martex Fiber, we work with some of our largest Lands' End Business customers to recycle used uniform clothing into post-consumer fiber for insulation, home furnishings, knit socks and more. So far we have shipped more than 260 tons of materials for recycling.
Ultimately it's our employees who make the difference and are the driving force behind many of our sustainability efforts. In fact, for many of us at Lands' End, Earth Day is every day, and we help out in any way we can. Every year, a dedicated team heads to Madison, Wisconsin to "Take a Stake in the Lakes" and clean up one of Dane County's parks, clearing the lakeshore of invasive plants and improving the habitat for native wildlife.
It's not only a great opportunity to help Mother Nature—it also helps bring our team and community together. We'd love to hear from you about your company's volunteer projects on behalf of the environment, and don't forget you can enter our Beyond Business contest for a chance to win up to $500 in Lands' End Business apparel.